This is where it all began. The garden was begun in 1549 and now has been in existence for 500 years.
It was owned by the wealthy Medici family and became the example of formal gardens for Europe and the western world. Before this garden there were just farms owned by the rich and military baronial castles; no gardens.
The garden is 111 acres and on very steep land with many steps.
The Medici family had many sculptures made and this garden became a formal display case for them.
There are many fountains and formal pools in the garden. The water for these came from the nearby Arno River.
This is the Arno River which flows through Florence. The gardens still get their water from here but with the aid of electricity and pumps now.
The garden is mostly green – very few flowers.
The hedge plants are from top to bottom:
Grecian Laurel – Laurus nobilis
Laurustinus – Viburnum tinus
Holly Oak – Quercus ilex
English Boxwood – Buxus sempervirens
The Medici family had 500 pots of citrus trees of many different varieties so they could enjoy the fruit almost any time of year.